Disadvantaged learners

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  James 1 year ago.

• Author
     Paul 
    Keymaster

How do we use AI to enable those who can’t afford a good education or have learning difficulties to get the best education?

James 
    Participant

Depends upon what we mean by “good education”. If by that we mean having access the attention required to maximise your potential then this becomes as much a question as what that is, and how it is delivered. There are a number of excellent ways that people can access educational material, and I would say that we are far closer to intertia, and environmental issues becoming the largest barrier.

Speaking as someone who’s learning difficulty slipped through the cracks of an excellent education late-1990s/00s, I think there is a huge amount of potential to use A.I. to improve these people’s lives, and to help create the frameworks that will help them in later life.
    – Text analysis of staff feedback for diagnostic, and treatment purposes: why? I had pretty much good / excellent grades. I am also ADHD – reading my school reports etc. 20 years later the symptoms are clear as day. They literally tick the classic boxes of the pathology

– Monitoring of progress, or not, will allow better intervention / management
    – Quantified learning that creates a map of intellectual activity to identify when students are most suited to work…
    – There is quite a lot of talk about pupils defining their curriculum, but I think there should be an amount of defining when working works for them. 0800-1515 is not, an never was, my best time… I still do a lot of work 9pm-12am, and always will. Streaming classes by chronotype could make as much sense as by “ability” on SAT tests
    – Improve marking: thanks to improvements in NLP and NLG there could be automated marking of essays and exam papers. Smoothing out the issues with time of day, level of understanding, and workload currently plaguing markers
    – Sophisticated techniques could be used to do away with exams altogether… not that I’m a fan of coursework 😉

Other ideas: automation of (some) rote learning (it works), global analysis of performance leading to a worldwide unified accreditation…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Processing...
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
ErrorHere

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account