ML landscape stand-out companies

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kieran 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Paul 
    Keymaster

The machine learning landscape from BloombergBETA comprises dozens of companies in a variety of sectors. Who are your stand-out companies and why?

Paul 
    Keymaster

For me the stand-out is that Babylon Health didn’t make the list!

Hugh 
    Participant

My stand-out is the number of open-source libraries giving easy access to deep learning. In particular PaddlePaddle, which claims to offer true horizontal scalability of deep learning algorithms.

Annie 
    Participant

It’s Deep Genomics that stand out to me. Properly understanding how genetics relates to phenotypes (e.g. disease or disability) will lead to huge breakthroughs in healthcare.

James 
    Participant

I think it is illustrative of the massive growth in the space that they are unable to cover off the hot players in all spaces. What they have, cleverly, done is create a lot of inbound for their deal-flow; both for businesses that “should” be on there, as well as those happy to see themselves on their landscape.

What I find encouraging is that they are commenting on the lifecycle of these start-ups, and what leads them to be sold / acquired. If Web 2.0 was all about flipping any idea to the nearest, deep-pocketed, company looking to keep up, Computing 2.0 (working title) seems to be more about real innovation having to go to where the resources are. I think we’ll see more teams retained even after their earn-outs have been completed. Think of it like the consolidation of industrial manufacturers in the 20th century. Great designers, engineers etc. were happy to join Ford / GM as it gave them the ability to realise their dream.

Kieran 
    Participant

@jamestabor I think it is more illustrative of their inbound deal-flow than growth in the industry (which, admittedly, is substantial). The start-up lifecycle is an interesting angle. The appeal of companies like Google and Facebook is substantial for a start-up. Not only due to almost limitless available resources but also since modern large companies such as these are better than traditional corporations at getting the best from companies they acquire. Rather than fully absorbing them into their organisation the start-ups are allowed a substantial degree of autonomy. Google Deepmind is a prime example.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Processing...
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
ErrorHere

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account