What else can we gamify?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hugh 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Paul 
    Keymaster

Shivon Zilis and James Cham make the point that many advances in machine intelligence are occurring in games, largely due to the constrained environments and clear reward structures. These advancements are spilling over into the real world (e.g. Google’s data centres and self-driving vehicles). So the question is, what else can we reconfigure to make it look more like a game?

Robert 
    Participant

Warfare is, rather worryingly, the obvious candidate here.

James 
    Participant

Warfare is already there, certainly for drone pilots!

However, I think that a lot of Government Services are going to become “gamified”, but more like e-commerce / social profilings have gamified in the past decade. HMRC’s current online services are not just easier to use, they are resulting in more honesty and higher revenues. How this progresses will be interesting. There is a fascinating generational divide between myself (34) and my parents generation (45-60).

They view the HMRC with massive distrust, mainly because they treated the whole population with suspicion. My experiences have been positive – if handing over large sums of money ever is – as they respond well to honesty, and requests for assistance. Just simple progress bars, and good messaging is removing the friction of an otherwise frustratingly mundane process.

Beyond that, I think transport experiences, as well as training and education.

Paul 
    Keymaster

@jamestabor Those various services have been gamified for people, but how about gamification in the sense of having a reward system/score for an AI to optimise for? One particularly cool example is beer brewing. IntelligenceX are using reinforcement learning – a type of machine learning where the algorithm tries to maximise a score over time, rather than using a static training set – to evolve their beer at each iteration based on customer feedback.

Hugh 
    Participant

@robbo @jamestabor I’m sure the various armed forces around the world are well on the way to incorporating AI into warfare. Drone shootings/bombings are easy to gamify so an algorithm can be trained, with the obvious score of accuracy and/or kill rate. I wouldn’t fancy being the person having to build that model.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Processing...
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
ErrorHere

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account